According to the American Massage Therapy Association, 67 percent of people receive a massage for different medical reasons but mainly for pain or stress. However, each year, more people look for massages due to the benefits they provide. Some insurance companies are including massage sessions as part of their coverage.
Massage therapy is considered a mainstream option and a type of treatment where a certified medical professional and therapist manipulates the soft tissues of your body, including muscles, tendons, connective tissue, and more. Massage therapy consists mainly of manual hand on techniques, like applying fixed and adjustable pressure to your muscles and body tissues. Sometimes the therapist may also use his forearms and elbows, and different massage techniques depending on your symptoms and the cause of them.
Below are 23 benefits massage therapy provides:
- It reduces stress
- It reduces anxiety
- It reduces muscle tension
- It treats insomnia
- It relieves tension, migraine, and headaches
- It can improve circulation
- It helps strengthen the body’s immune system
- It improves posture
- It increases the range of motion
- It can lower blood pressure
- It relieves joint pain
- It promotes relaxation
- It reduces chronic back pain and neck pain
- It reduces prenatal discomfort
- It relieves muscle tension
- It helps with injury recovery
- It’s a fibromyalgia treatment
- It can help with cancer symptom reduction
- Enhances athletic performance
- Relieves arthritis pain
- It can help restore proper use of insulin and lower inflammation for diabetics
- It improves flexibility
- It improves ADHD
We are one of the best places to get massage therapy in Chicago, at the Taylor Rehabilitation and Wellness Center we have some of the best-licensed massage therapists in the area, who have been practicing massage therapy for over 19 years. Our massage therapists are dedicated to helping patients feel more relaxed and will provide as much information as possible during your session.
And if the cause of your symptoms requires other treatments aside from massage therapy, at the center, we have a wide range of also non-invasive and drug-free options, like chiropractic care, laser therapy, and spinal decompression.