Neuropathy is a nerve disorder that affects millions of people around the world. It is a condition that causes pain, numbness, and tingling sensations in the hands and feet. Neuropathy can be caused by a variety of factors, including diabetes, injury, infection, and exposure to toxins.
Here at Taylor Rehab & Disc Injury Center we provide a range of treatments that can treat the underlying causes of your pain and discomfort.
Causes of Neuropathy
There are many factors that can contribute to neuropathy, including:
- Diabetes: Diabetes is the leading cause of neuropathy. High blood sugar levels can damage nerves and cause symptoms such as pain, tingling, and numbness in the hands and feet.
- Trauma: Trauma to the nerves can cause neuropathy. This can include injuries such as fractures, dislocations, and crush injuries.
- Infection: Certain infections, such as HIV, Lyme disease, and shingles, can cause neuropathy.
- Toxins: Exposure to toxins, such as alcohol, chemotherapy drugs, and heavy metals, can damage nerves and cause neuropathy.
Symptoms of Neuropathy
The symptoms of neuropathy can vary depending on the cause and the severity of the condition. Common symptoms include:
- Pain: Neuropathy can cause a sharp, shooting pain in the hands and feet.
- Tingling: Some people with neuropathy may experience a tingling sensation in their hands and feet.
- Numbness: Neuropathy can cause numbness in the hands and feet, making it difficult to feel things.
- Weakness: Neuropathy can also cause weakness in the hands and feet, making it difficult to perform daily tasks.
There are several treatment options available for neuropathy, including chiropractic care, massage therapy, and laser therapy.
- Chiropractic Care: Chiropractic care is a natural, non-invasive treatment option for neuropathy. Chiropractors can use spinal adjustments to improve the function of the nervous system and reduce inflammation in the body.
- Massage Therapy: Massage therapy can also be an effective treatment option for neuropathy. Massage can improve circulation, reduce inflammation, and relieve pain and discomfort.
- Laser Therapy: Laser therapy is a non-invasive treatment option that uses low-level lasers to stimulate the nerves and promote healing. This therapy can reduce pain and improve the function of the nervous system.
Neuropathy is a condition that can cause significant pain and discomfort. There are many factors that can contribute to neuropathy, including diabetes, trauma, infection, and exposure to toxins.
Treatment options such as chiropractic care, massage therapy, and laser therapy can help to reduce pain, improve circulation, and promote healing.
If you are suffering from neuropathy in Skokie, Niles, Morton Grove, or throughout Cook County, call us at (773) 725-5835 to schedule a free consultation.