Until it happens to them, most people do not realize the potential severity of a slip and fall accident injury. Though it can happen to anyone, anytime, and anywhere it may not be the fault of the person who slipped and fell.
The law is clear that owners and managers of buildings, stores, and even public sidewalks must maintain safe conditions for those who will visit through that property.
In legal terms, this is known as premises liability and a slip and fall lawyer can have a successful record of obtaining compensation for victims injured by the negligence of the property owner or manager.
If you or your child was injured in a slip and fall accident outside your home, call a slip and fall attorney Washington D.C. trusts without delay. You can discuss the circumstances of the accident and subsequent injury with a slip and fall lawyer.
After a brief review of your case, a lawyer can provide you with actionable information that will enable you to make an informed decision about what to do next.
After sustaining an injury in a slip and fall accident, in advance of meeting with a slip and fall lawyer, consider taking the following five steps in order to help protect your right to compensation.
- Get medical attention. You may have been hurt even more seriously than you realize. Shock can mask the true extent of an injury. It’s common for victims to sustain a broken or fractured hip, a broken hand or finger when they landed, or even a closed head injury. The faster you get medical treatment, the better your chances for a successful recovery. Also remember to request a copy of your medical records for your slip and fall lawyer. Chiropractic care can also be largely beneficial for pain experienced after a car accident.
- Notify the property owner or manager on duty. Let them know what happened. Be calm and polite and as matter of fact as possible. Note in writing the name of the person you spoke to, the time and date, and the content of the conversation. You will need to share that note with your slip and fall lawyer.
- If there were witnesses to your slip and fall accident, try to track them down or if you are already aware of their contact information, provide it to your slip and fall lawyer.
- Take photos and/or video of the accident scene. If you are not able to do this yourself, request a trusted friend to do this on your behalf. Most cell phones have the capability to record video, and still shots can be saved later from the footage, so video is actually preferable to photos. At the very least, get photos of the scene and of the hazard itself which caused your slip and fall accident. It’s important to do this immediately or else the property owner may have time to address the hazard and claim your slip and fall never happened at their location.
- Do not share information about the slip and fall accident with anyone but your slip and fall lawyer. This includes the property owner as well as on your social media accounts. The reason for this is that anything you say or write can be held against you by the at-fault party’s insurance company, thus giving them reason to deny your claim.
Thanks to our friends and contributors from Cohen & Cohen, P.C., for their insight into slip and fall recovery.